The GREEN SCHOOL initiative is a concerted effort to build Green Crusaders who practice, sensitize, educate and propagate the message of a greener earth to friends, parents and the people they meet. It encourages self discipline and sustainable living. Students begin the initiative from the classrooms by weekly clean up days known as SHRAMDAN .The students contribute to the Eco-Club and make concerted efforts towards reducing, recycling and reusing waste. Majority of the students and teachers are carpooling, cycling or walking to school. There are energy and resource meters on electricity boards and Aqua sources. The Eco clubs constantly endeavours to reduce the use of toxic and non Bio-degradable material for cleaning and irrigation purposes. The students have a Planet Pledge which they take every day. The senior classes conduct projects and surveys to assess the level of waste and inefficiencies like leaking taps, and misuse of power. The green initiative is interwoven into the curriculum .Constant methods to inform, to involve and celebrate the uniqueness of mother Earth.
Paperless communication is encouraged wherein the homework, data, information is passed within the school and to the students and parents via Teacherszapp, Parentzapp.
Objective: To sensitize, educate and implement the need for a Greener Planet
Target Group:Teachers, Students, Parents, Support Staff, Members of the community.
Please specify reach outside India: Graduating students carrying the message to all corners of the world as Green Crusaders.
Five points that make the Project innovative:
- 1. Ist ever, Vermi Composting, Water harvesting plant in school,becomes even more important as this town falls in a rain shadow area where we have very less rainfall
- 2. Ist ever, Solar Plant in a School (within the district)
- 3. Paper recycling machine to manage and reuse paper waste
- 4. Building sensitivity to flora and fauna (Habitat for rabbits and Bird houses)
- 5. Student runs Herbal Garden, Tree Plantation, Adoption of Green Belts, Saplings being replaced by mementos given during different occasions.
Five key achievements of the Project:
- 1. 10 % of the Power requirement met by the school’s solar plant, therefore less dependence & pressure on local Power Stations
- 2. Use of recycled paper for display and other Art & Craft activities.
- 3. Students & Teachers run the Eco-Club
- 4. Clear & marked initiatives taken by the students and parents in reducing waste.
- 5. Donation of library books, second hand furniture, stationary given out to school run for the under privilege children to experience lack of funds
Five points that make the Project replicable:
- 1. Constant supply of recycled paper therefore constant environment consciousness
- 2. Self sustaining power needs.
- 3. Maintaining ecological balance and respect for the environment
- 4. Water needs met by the water harvesting plant
- 5. Waste generated managed by the school itself
Five points to elaborate on the scalability of the Project:
- 1. Green initiative to be taken by all the sister concerns (Schools in other cities and towns)
- 2. Addition of more paper recycling & paper compressing machines
- 3. Self sustaining power, water and paper needs
- 4. Adoption, upkeep, beautification of a local park/ Roundabouts
- 5. No plastic Zone