The GREEN SCHOOL initiative is a concerted effort to build Green Crusaders who practice, sensitize, educate and propagate the message of a greener earth to friends, parents and the people they meet. It encourages self discipline and sustainable living. Students begin the initiative from the classrooms by weekly clean up days known as SHRAMDAN .The students contribute to the Eco-Club and make concerted efforts towards reducing, recycling and reusing waste. Majority of the students and teachers are carpooling, cycling or walking to school. There are energy and resource meters on electricity boards and Aqua sources. The Eco clubs constantly endeavours to reduce the use of toxic and non Bio-degradable material for cleaning and irrigation purposes. The students have a Planet Pledge which they take every day. The senior classes conduct projects and surveys to assess the level of waste and inefficiencies like leaking taps, and misuse of power. The green initiative is interwoven into the curriculum .Constant methods to inform, to involve and celebrate the uniqueness of mother Earth.
Paperless communication is encouraged wherein the homework, data, information is passed within the school and to the students and parents via Teacherszapp, Parentzapp.
The objective is to sensitize, educate and implement the need for a Greener Planet.
Five points that make the Project innovative:
- First ever Vermi Composting, Water harvesting plant in school, becomes even more important as this town falls in a rain shadow area where we have very less rainfall.
- First ever Solar Plant in a School (within the district).
- Paper recycling machine to manage and reuse paper waste.
- Building sensitivity to flora and fauna (Habitat for rabbits and Bird houses).
- Student runs Herbal Garden, Tree Plantation, Adoption of Green Belts, Saplings being replaced by mementos given during different occasions.
Five key achievements of the Project:
- About 10 % of the Power requirement met by the school’s solar plant, therefore less dependence and pressure on local Power Stations.
- Use of recycled paper for display and other Art and Craft activities.
- Students and Teachers run the Eco-Club.
- Clear and marked initiatives taken by the students and parents in reducing waste.
- Donation of library books, second hand furniture, stationary given out to school run for the under privilege children to experience lack of funds
Five points that make the Project replicable:
- Constant supply of recycled paper therefore constant environment consciousness.
- Self sustaining power needs.
- Maintaining ecological balance and respect for the environment.
- Water needs met by the water harvesting plant.
- Waste generated managed by the school itself.
Five points to elaborate on the scalability of the Project:
- Green initiative to be taken by all sister concerns (Schools in other cities and towns).
- Addition of more paper recycling and paper compressing machines.
- Self sustaining power, water and paper needs.
- Adoption, upkeep, beautification of a local park/ Roundabouts.
- No plastic Zone.